View Single Post
Unread 10-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,320 Posts
Default '06 AE woes

At the next to last RIAC, I won a 1906 American Eagle 7.65. I knew about a couple of issues it has, but think I did OK, as one I was able to fix, and the other sort of doesn't matter that much.

In the course of replacing the grip safety spring, I noticed that the safety lever's retaining pin was loose, explaining the slight floppiness in the operation of the lever itself.

I used a short segment of 3/32" bronze rod to attempt to tap the retaining pin into proper position. The pin slips in from the front side of the lever and bottoms out in its hole, but it falls right out with the pistol upright and left grip removed. The lever's nub clicks into the upper position just fine, but when moved off safe, it becomes sloppy/loose, to the extent that while pointing the pistol at the ground, it flops toward the safe position enough to block the sear with the safety's tip, also enough to block motion of the grip safety paddle. The nub is not tight in the detent. The play in this setup seems to arise from the retention pin's looseness. My estimation is that the play is due to wear of the slot in the shaft of the safety lever, through which the pin passes, or from wear of the lever's fit within its hole/well. I see how the pin should act to retain the shaft in its well, also appearing to me to act as a stop for the lever's lower position; and this arrangement has a lot of play. While considering the possibility of tweeking the lever until the nub settles more positively into its lower detent, I noticed that the lever, at a side view, already has a slight crown to it--as if someone has already tried this maneuver.

So, my dear Lugerholics, my question is, Have any of you run into this issue before, and if so, what needs to be addressed, and how? Replace pin, lever, or both? Bend the lever a little more? Loctite the pin into position? Bush the hole for the lever's shaft?

I already have an email sent to Lugerdoc concerning this, but would certainly appreciate discerning and creative suggestions or observations from other mechanically inclined members...

David Parker
ithacaartist is offline   Reply With Quote