View Single Post
Unread 05-25-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default Is there a market for!

Hi to all, in my many repair efforts I find what ever I accomplish, there is always, still, a ton of work still needed for proper function and appearance. Now, right off the get go, I'm not talking about a professional rust blue and correction of rust and corrosion issues. Just a nice re-blue and re-straw... I have noticed that even a salt blue job has become relatively hard to find, and still expensive to boot! I just completed a re-barreling of a 1920 commercial receiver, and I also re-strawed the small parts on the receiver and frame... wow! It really looks nice... Question is, is it worth offering this service to customers? Not necessarily correct, just nice? You know, prep as well as you can, repair the chipped grip, and re-blue and re-straw. Fire blue springs and pins, etc. etc. Kind of a middle of the road service so to speak...
I have neither the skills, or the patience to do a correct museum quality restoration... and the cost would reflect the service provided... Now, keep in mind, this would not be to boost value, or make anyone guess whether is it right or wrong? It would simply be an attempt to make a nice shooter....nicer? Keep in mind, my strong suit is making them work right, and this would just be an extension of that effort... This query is not an attempt to compete with the restoration crowd, I have neither their skills or time do do so... Most of what I would provide would involve
effort from other forum craftsman as well... Just a thought, let me know what you think... best to all, til...lat'r....GT
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to G.T. for your post: