View Single Post
Unread 04-28-2020, 10:51 AM   #13
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

YES, IT DOES SEEM TOO SIMPLISTIC WHEN IN ACTUALITY IT IS NOTHING OF THE SORT. Ballistol is a PENETRATING OIL. A REPELLENT of air & moisture. Your vintage holsters will become an oil soaked rag and PLEASE! read to the bottom! The Ballistol web site says DON'T USE IT ON LEATHER! Like ANY oil it will eventually harden and burn, acting like the leather has been charred in a fire.

Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetal seeds. The mineral oil is unchlorinated and conforms to the specifications of US Pharmacopeia XX. As an aerosol Ballistol contains 33.8% VOCs. As a non-aerosol it contains 5.3% VOCs.

Ballistol lubricates, penetrates, cleans, protects and preserves metal, plastic, rubber and wood. Ballistol is an outstanding penetrating oil, creeps into the finest cracks, and loosens nuts and bolts. It can also be used as a cutting/boring oil.

Of course, Ballistol can do whatever other lubricants/protectants can do. Use it on tight or squeaky hinges, on door locks, padlocks, for the maintenance of gardening tools, lawn mowers, scissors, pocket knives, as sharpening oil, on bicycles, motorcycles, your model train, skateboards or roller blades, ski bindings and edges, etc., etc. But Ballistol does more. It can be used to polish silver and brass. And it will even protect WET surfaces.

Can I use Ballistol on suede?

Do not use Ballistol on suede. Ballistol can stiffen suede. FROM THE BALLISTOL WEB SITE!!!

Gentlemen, I am not happy to inform you of what seems disagreeable and counter to your practices but in the interest of preservation it would be my advice to STOP using or NEVER start using this penetrating oil or ANY oil on vintage holsters.

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to lugerholsterrepair for your post: