View Single Post
Unread 06-21-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,581 Times in 989 Posts
Default Luger magazine springs?

Luger magazine springs are an enigma wrapped in a mystery, at least to most of us who are shade tree gunsmiths at best! The primary question we try to answer with limited experience is as follows... We all know that the original springs take an initial set, followed by a slow degrading set over time. What we don't know if this set is made worse just by cycling, or worse by sitting fully loaded?
Now one has to realize that spring set results in a compression spring, getting shorter, and bigger around, AND weaker, (most likely from growing diameter coils..)
Also, one has to realize that Luger springs working parameters suck, as it goes almost fully solid on compression! And then back to full extension, within capture parameters.
Here's the rub, and what has escaped most repair attempts over the decades. The big problem with the setting spring is that, as mentioned above) grows in diameter as it take a set! So, all to soon, the coils of the spring start dragging on the side of the magazine shell and it seems to the operator that the spring is way too strong! So, what do you do with a spring that seems too strong, why you clip it of course! Now you might gain a little in changing the length of spring under compression, but you have lost quite a bit of extension strength and done little to cure the drag issue which is the problem initially?
The only cure, is/are, springs of modern materials, made slightly under so they come into spec when they take an initial set, and are of the proper length and wire dia.
With new springs like I just described, you can't make it fail, not in my lifetime, or yours! I've tested them thru thousands of cycles and they remain unchanged... When I had them made, the material used was describe to me as the same grade of material that was used on wire guided missiles... .... Forum members who have purchased GTHQ Mec-Gar mags with this spring upgrade can attest to their consistency and longevity.... Gives you something to think about.... best to all, til....lat'r....GT....
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: