View Single Post
Unread 11-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #20
Olle
User

I don't reload and I usually don't fool with primers and such, but IIRC they need an "anvil" to work. Berdan primed cartridges have a teat in the primer pocket, and modern Boxer primers have the anvil built into the primer cap itself, kinda like a double bottom. However, a rimfire cartridge doesn't have a separate anvil, it relies on the pinching of the rim to ignite. If you hit a rimfire case dead center, there's no anvil and no bang. It may go off anyway, but I wouldn't rely on it.

The offset striker should work, but from my own experiments I have found that sharp edges work better than round edges, and you can move it toward the center as long as you still get the pinching effect. A machined, rectangular .030" wide and .040" high protrusion without any extra filing or polishing has worked well for my own builds. Not sure if the length of the protrusion matters as long as it hits the rim.

In short: I believe it could be as simple as filing a bit on the pin, that should make a deeper dent and make it go bang.
Olle is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Olle for your post: