Thread: Bad news
View Single Post
Unread 05-07-2022, 06:02 PM   #101
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,474 Times in 1,319 Posts

This was fun, and I'm glad to see how many IDs popped up. Thanks.

1959 Borgward Isabella I bought for a hundred bucks from my then future father-in-law in 1967. Basic liability insurance for the year cost me twice that!

It had 4 on the column. its 650/13 tires were the size on the front pages of tire company sale flyers and ads turned out to be, once you read the small print related to that "low-low" price.

I had it on the road twice, either side of the 62 Rambler my dad thought I should have. Summer of 1969, I met a guy with a 1960 Mercedes 220SB. The Benz had a couple of issues and more northern NY rust, but we swapped even-up. I'd become apprehensive about the availability of repair parts, since Borgward was forced into bankruptcy in 1961. (Reminds me of a certain pistol...) A mutual mechanic friend pronounced it the only deal he'd ever seen in which both parties got s*rewed.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Eric. Forgive my over-enthusiasm to jabber about cars I've owned. I hope Debbie continues to do well.