View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #27
Mac Cat
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Great tips !
I would prefer an SLR camera, but I don't own one.
I used to use a point and shoot digital camera, but the new smart phones have amazing cameras on them!

You can now buy good photography boxes like the one show below from about $65 (The "SANOTO 12"x8" Portable Studio Light Box Kit" shown below has a color balanced florescent light built-in). Simpler tent boxes are even cheaper, but you have to be careful your light sources don't melt the fabric if you get too close. The boxes work well outdoors, as well.

Some prefer two incondescent lights - one on each side, for sharper edges and shadows, avoiding the glare you sometimes get on flat surfaces like guns. The white tent material helps defuse the light and even it out, avoiding glare and preserving correct colors. A tripod isn't required, but it really helps.

Use the box to photograph all of your valuables, books, documents, jewelry and stuff you may want to sell on an auction site, like eBay. It's well worth the time to set it up and get a good light.

I also purchased a small magnifier lens that attached to my iPhone for about $30 (you may have seen Sherlock Holmes using it on the TV show Elementary). There are a variety of other clip on after-market lens. The magnifier allows me to photograph something about 1/3 of an inch in diameter - like an acceptance stamp and serial number. (see below)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	S letter.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	49360  

Attached Images

Mac Cat is offline   Reply With Quote