View Single Post
Unread 03-07-2020, 09:57 PM   #7
4 Scale
User

I actually tried the strategy of shooting collectibles while replacing parts more likely to break such as the toggle train, firing pin, hold open, grips, toggle pin and so forth. It's a great theoretical strategy that did not work for me in practice.

When you replace all those parts, you're now not shooting a collectible, but a parts gun. Plus, even replacing those parts I discovered I was still very aware of the threat of breaking a numbered part. Shooting a Luger should be enjoyable, and concern for parts breakage while shooting makes it less enjoyable.

I had reasonable luck, no metal parts ever broke. I did break a chip on a grip near the safety due to recoil. Twenty minutes of looking for the chip on my hands and knees and repairing the grip cured me of my interest in shooting collectibles.

So, I bought a shooter. I enjoyed having a dedicated shooter so much that I ended up with several. For me, getting the shooters to run flawlessly and learning more about the Luger action during that process was an unexpected benefit. I found dissassembly of shooters fun, in part because there is no penalty if the finish is marred. So, all in all my own experience is if you want to shoot, buy a shooter or even several.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: