View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2017, 01:10 PM   #24
Rick W.
User

I reckon there are similarities with some cases, presentation and range, but also differences. Like usual, context and environment is everything.

I normally think of presentation type cases are used by the guys for long term storage really; and showing off in special occasions. Yet, most are placed in a large metal box and not looked at for decades. Some factory boxes have foam, just look at a Python sillywet. Yeah, I know about maintenance, but know that the decades happen. To me foam or styro in this context is not my choice, just my opinion. Sometimes one sees nickeled pistols stored in soft zipper foam type cases, with material interiors, that will frost a nickeled(removable so far here) gun in a few months. So there must be something going on, when I put an old work sock over the nickeled guns, no more frost. So still some puzzles to this layman.

A range case, one sees cutout foam(hard and soft type foams) used all over the place. I personally feel these are not intended for long term storage. I have failed miserably a time or two by leaving firearms in the nice fitted foam case, it was convenient; and I paid the piper a few years later. Such a nice cheapo case, nothing rattles around, looks nice................but I had to learn a hard lesson in long term storage.

So perhaps there is a point of context, long term versus short term storage. The problem with this user is remembering about long term.......... OH, yeah, that reminds me, that old black plastic case has a shotgun in it; put in there years ago.

Years ago there was quite a bit of discussion on cases of all types, glad to see that happen some more; always something to learn from the posters here.

I might add that the first pistol case looks very similar to an early commercial case to me in style/color..........nice.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: