View Single Post
Unread 05-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #5
Daniel76
User

Interesting. I would add the following...

~Simpson's is a retail business, and even at that, they are considered at the very high end (if not over the side) of retail for just about anything they sell. If you really want a better estimate of what the rig will sell for, go look at completed Gunbroker auctions that have the same set-up as yours. I believe a matching (matching stock, pistol, drum magazine, holster set-up similar to yours sold not long ago for about $7500 IIRC).
~As a wartime luger, it will have a date rolled across the top of the receiver. That well could make a significant difference in the value of the entire rig.
~It will also have a manufacturer stamped into the toggle across the top as well. It will be a scrolled 'DWM' or "Erfurt'. That also, will make a difference in the price valuation. For example, 1917 DWM's are the most common, whereas 1914 DWM's are very rare. Erfurt only made artillery lugers for one year, so they will be priced accordingly.
~The drum magazine is a Bing/Nurnberg Type II and it is also serial numbered correctly and appears to be matching (to itself, not to the pistol. They were not serial numbered to guns). You have the dust cover for it as well which is nice.
~The matching stock is a big plus. From the looks of the scratching in it, I don't believe the Leo. Gett is a recent owner. It looks like it may have been scratched on there by a previous owner, perhaps the gentleman who captured it. Not uncommon for tommies/GI's to do that sort of thing, but would have been extremely unusual for a German soldier of any era to do that.
~The other stamping on the stock (Gr. Regt 110), someone who excels in that area will likely clear that up. Grenadier Regiment 110?
~Leather looks to be original and in good condition. Most straps and stock fittings are in poor shape or missing altogether. The cleaning rod appears to be original, as does the tool, but again, better and closer pictures will tell the story for sure.

You have a super nice rig that is very collectible. The additional pictures will tell a lot more and there are real experts on this site that will fill in all the missing details and correct anything I've err'd in.
Daniel76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 8 members says Thank You to Daniel76 for your post: