View Single Post
Unread 04-19-2002, 08:32 AM   #20
unspellable
User

Default Re: Tokarev ammo

There are differences. The first thing the soviets did was to make a slight change in bullet and barrel diameter so as to use the same set of gauges for both pistol and rifle. The second item is that the Tokarov has a longer head space (Shoulder is further forward) and a shorter neck. You will find examples of Tokarov ammo that will not chamber in a a particular Broomhandle.

When reloading the Tokarov you can resize with a 7.63 Mauser die that has been slightly backed out. Use a 30 Luger seating die to accomodate the shorter neck. Use 7.63 Mauser data and intitially back off a couple tenths for the powder charge if you are using the heavier Tokarov weight bullet.

Fiocchi loads the 7.63 Mauser cartridge. There is a small American ammo outfit loading it. S&B and Winchester both load the 7.62 Tokarov. So there are nice modern fresh commercial boxer primed non-corrosive factory loads for both. In fact I jsut bought two boxes of the Winchester stuff at cheap prices!

The genuine Mauser made broomhandle will take an ungodly amount of pressure. The problem is that with high usage of hot loads the slide recoil speed will batter down the corners on the locking lug. Fiocchi has a reputation for mild loads so they ought to be OK for those who want to go easy on their broomhandle. I see absolutely no problem with shooting the broomhandle given the usual, "Is it in good condition?"

Before shooting your broomhandle make sure the recoil spring and the locking block are up to snuff. Look for rounded corners on the locking lugs.

I have no idea about the quality of the various broomhandle knockoffs.

unspellable