View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2008, 10:48 AM   #17
Mauser720
User

After reading about others' experiences with the little brass sight adjusting tools, I thought I should see if mine would even work. It did work on the rear sight; however, the front sight could not be moved. I was afraid to apply much force, since others reported the little points on the spanner would break. So I soaked the entire front sight in Gunk brand "Liquid Wrench" for about an hour. When I tried again, the front screw came free and now turns nicely.

So "Liquid Wrench" did the trick.

I do have one question though, does anyone know exactly how many turns the rear sight adjustment screw should be able to turn? The one on my 1915 will only rotate about 1/8th of a turn in either direction. I know this does not sound like much, but this should result in a substantial change in bullet impact at the longer ranges. Does anyone know what is the correct amount that the rear adjustment screw should be able to be rotated?

It also appears that the rear sight can be set at distances between the scale shown on the sight. By this I mean that it appears it can be set at even distances in hundreds of meters, plus exactly another 50 meters; i.e., 100 meters; 150 meters; 200 meters; 250 meters; 300 meters; 350 meters; etc.

Also, here is a picture of the front sight on this particular 1915 artillery. As you can see, the front sight was far out of line compared to the reference marks on the front sight base. However, it is now easily adjusted by the little brass tool. I now have it set exactly on the center reference mark.

Mauser720 - Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	luger - artillery front sight.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	2431  

Mauser720 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to Mauser720 for your post: