View Single Post
Unread 05-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #8
Rick W.
User

One of the things about this forum is that one can get ideas on how to etc. Does not mean that one has to do it that way, but at least you got exposed to that point of context.

To me, all of the methods have some pluses and minuses; such is life I guess.

The punch pricking of the bottom surface of the dovetail is fairly easy to do, tis hidden as well.......and works fairly well. One of the issues is durability, metal will always flow to a void if it has no other choice. I am sure there are several other viewpoints on all of that.

The movement of the dovetail surfaces takes a bit of skill, and if done per Godzillas handbook, the dovetail will be in trouble. If done correctly, the mass of the front sight support helps control metal movement after the fact of tightening back to loose.

The silver solder pad idea is new to me, wonder why I do not remember it being presented before? Hard silver solder takes a bit of heat, and if to the boundary of the sight base, usually has some resistance to blues. Guess one could think of chalk or pencil a boundary around the base of the sight, but now is out of my league. Kinda a neat idea, I appreciate hearing about it.

Amount of loose is in the equation of approach to be sure.

I have always admired folks that can handle dovetails from scratch..........well. Tolerances have to be right, just amazing stuff by those that do such by hand or by machine; neither is falling off a log routine.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: