Thread: 9mm ammo
View Single Post
Unread 10-31-2018, 01:23 PM   #53
Rick W.
User

Greg,

My comment about war weapons is one of the darker sides of the gunmaker's art form and guess at times, humanity. A simple example of going econo............might be............from the finely made Thompson 45acp sub gun............to the 45 cal grease gun. Both did what they were made for. Just an observation from a casual reserver.

I found your comment about vintage airplanes interesting as well, never thought down that line before.

I have found the tape test to be an indicator of what is going on with a Luger at times. Whomever thought of that, was a thinker; certainly was not me. An easy asset with everyday items..........he had a fine thought that day, useful it is.

I have used the Wolff 38# spring so long that I don't know nothing else, 30's or 9's or wildcats. I have some 36# springs as well, but after all these years and doing stuff, they sit in their wrappers unopened fwiw.

I have not thought about reducing load or spring compression numbers enough to be even semi dangerous. As a norm, every new to me Luger gets a 38# wolffee if I am going to shoot it a lot. Not everyone would agree with that, and I can see their points too; to each their own as they are the ones the buck stops with.

I have long dreamed of a wildcat in 22 to 25 caliber on the 9mm or 30 Luger case. As you know the Luger is a pretty good design to start with. I have visited with fairly heavy Luger guys about such and they all warn me about function without undue pressures, if I got the gist right. I have just finished a 22 squirrel on a K38 frame with K22 barrel and cylinder, made my own dies too. I think the smallish caliber Luger probably is more of a challenge, guess that is why I have laid off for these many years on such.............wimp I guess.

A moderate load in the semi regular 30 or 9, that works the action with a little overage probably will last your lifetime. I think there are functional characteristics that take certain power and resistance.

I have not thought about an under loaded Luger much, but tis good to see the fire in the distance. There is so much to these pistols............a lifetime is not enough.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote