Thread: Dutch Luger
View Single Post
Unread 08-29-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
PhilOhio
User

Vlim,

That's very interesting. In the pictures, I could not tell whether there was a grip safety, but assumed there was one, since it is a Dutch Luger. I incorrectly thought they were all the same.

Dandypoint,

From the pictures, it looks like that pistol is in unusually fine condition, if it has not been reblued. You are fortunate to have it.

Something else occurred to me. Japanese officers bought their own pistols. In Japan, they had the option of buying Type 14 Nambus, etc., at sort of a military provisions store. Many officers also bought foreign made pistols, which they preferred.

So I wonder how that worked in Indonesia? The Japanese captured the whole Dutch logistics system and its armament warehouses. Maybe they had some local system for selling or otherwise distributing pistols to officers.

My understanding is that there was little bloodshed when the Japanese took over the colonies. Most of the Dutch military and civilian population was evacuated to Australia, so there would have been few "captures" of pistols carried by Dutch military or police officers or navy personnel. It seems like the guns subsequently carried by Japanese personnel in-country, or returned to Japan, most likely came from Dutch storage facilites.

Vlim, would you have some insight on this?
PhilOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to PhilOhio for your post: