Thread: Dutch Luger
View Single Post
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,088 Times in 1,674 Posts

Don,
You are very fortunate to have a Dutch Luger. They are not easy to find. I would be interested in the story of how you acquired yours.

You have a 1928 contract Dutch Navy (I gather you suspected it was navy since you posted it in the Navy Lugers topic). The serial numbers of this contract were 1 to 1484, and it was the last DWM Dutch (actually it was manufactured by BKIW, Berlin Karlsruher Industrie Werk, as DWM was renamed after WWI). The next Dutch Navy Luger contract in 1930 was fulfilled by Mauser.

The safety arrow points down since, as you have indicated, it does not have a grip safety so it is in the Model 1914 Luger configuration, which also includes a stock lug. The earlier Dutch Army Lugers did not have a stock lug and had grip safeties so the thumb safety worked in the opposite direction.

A barrel date on a Dutch Luger indicates the date of the last overhaul/repair/modification. Since your gun lacks a barrel date, it has never been repaired or modified. The K.M. marking on the grip stands for, not surprisingly, “Koninklijke Marine” or Royal Navy.

You have what appears to be a very nice Dutch Luger, much better than average. I am sure that I am not the only one that would appreciate more pictures, particulaly showing the whole gun. Thank you for posting a very interesting item.