View Single Post
Unread 12-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,323 Posts

Well, if it says West Germany, then it's from the time period from roughly the end of WWII until the wall went down, as this is how imports to USA would have been marked. And I don't think it's a toy.

It is obviously a pure blow-back firing system pistol with internal trigger/sear setup. It has many similarities to the KGP series manufactured by Erma.

Some time ago, I came across a pic that was, IIRC, a display of Erma models and prototypes, enough of them to be arranged in a giant sunburst. (I should have snagged a copy of it for future reference, because the link I had to it is now dead, sorry) My best recollection is that some of the examples pictured looked very Luger-y. Conceivably, the KGP series could very well have started out as a prototype sporting a phony side plate which was later discarded in the final production models.

The KGP68(A) came in .32 auto and 9mmKurz (.380) and the KGP69 was a .22 lr., so this could incorporate the "8mm" guess.

If you post some dimensions, or can field strip it for further pics, I bet this idea will be borne out. It can be established rather easily if it breaks down like an Erma, and I can guide you through a take-down and re-assembly.)

There's also an acquaintance on another forum who is compiling an Erma data base of serial numbers, dates, and proofs, and I know he'll find this one most interesting.