View Single Post
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:02 PM   #3
suum cuique
User

Location: MD / Currently about 9000 klicks east of the Potomac

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlerauger View Post
Ran into a Walther P38 with minty holster and three mags at a gunshop this morning. It has an aluminum frame and was built in 11/61.
I would assume it's ( was ) an East German Police weapon??
The gun is nice and crisp with a very good bore. Not too much holster wear either. It's stamped "Interarms."
The shop wants $400.00 for all of it.
My first instinct was to steer away from it because of the aluminum frame, plus, I don't think it would be too exciting to own a P38 that wasn't much older than some of the stuff way in the back of my ice-box ( fridge to you youngsters out there! ).
All in all the whole thing was clean and nice, but I'd kinda like to save my pennies for a Luger 9mm shooter to pair-up with my .30 cal DWM.
Any and all thoughts are welcome,
Thanks in advance,
Adler Auger
I could be wrong, but I've never heard about an East German P38 with aluminium frame. THis could be a West German P1 frame
Is it marked P38?
Nowadays you can find a P1 in mint condition from Bundeswehr surplus, never issued, still in the original wrapping!
The P38 was named P1 because is was the first Pistol (Pistole 1) officially adopted by the Bundeswehr (except some other pistols used at the early beginning after the Bw was founded in 1955.
It was the workhorse of the Bundeswehr for over 40 years.