View Single Post
Unread 08-25-2001, 10:13 PM   #15
bill m
User

Default Re: Matching parts

Hi Kyrie,

You've mentioned twice now that "any knowledgeable collector" can tell if the sideplate has been replaced. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable and I have to say that I can not tell if a part has been changed if it is the same manufacture, style of numbers, and if proofed has the correct proofs. Not to be a smart-ass, but perhaps you can share with all of us how in the world you can tell if the trigger is original to a gun or not - as long as it is matched? How about the other parts -- pins, holdopens, firing pins and ect. I understand what your point is, but I can't seem to agree that you or anyone else can tell the difference if done properly. Every gun you come across from a dealer has to be subject in your mind as having been tampered with. You would have to spend 10's of hours under a scope looking for rub marks that just didn't seem to match up, and then you would never be sure if it was original or replaced. I think that it is possible to tell a replaced part if it doesn't fit properly or is of a different manufacture or different size of numbers, but if correctly fitted and if lets say a trigger from a 1940 42 is replaced with another trigger from another 1940 42, I do not think anyone is capable of telling which is the original trigger to the gun. Perhaps I'm wrong, so inspire me with knowledge.