View Single Post
Unread 08-25-2001, 10:11 PM   #13
Bill S.

Default Re: Matching parts

Kyrie,

I have been collecting Lugers for over 40 years and I think I have developed some expertise on the subject though there is always room to learn. Yes, there were many more '05' sideplates then there were '305' Borchardt stocks, but that just makes the '05' sideplate eaiser to find. I defy any Luger collector to distinguish between 2 or more like kind same number sideplates in equal condition made by the same manufacturer within a short time period say 5 years. The color, number stamps, machine marks, will all be the same within normal tolerances. Only the trigger pull may have to be adjusted to make a perfect match. The gun will not be devalued but will increase in value because of the matching sideplate.

If I am wrong, please educate me on how one tells in what year or in what batch a certain '05' number sideplate was maunfactured so that I know it DEFINITELY did not come from any same manufacturer, particular Luger!

Does your concept of originality also extend to screws? If a 98% Luger has a butchered grip screw, is it acceptable to upgrade the screw from another gun or will that also devalue the piece? I think you may be spliting the proverbial hair.

Ciao,

Bill S.