Thread: bore corrosion
View Single Post
Unread 01-08-2004, 03:18 PM   #17
Arvin
User

I am having a hard time understanding the logic of if it shoots good it shouldn't matter. First of all it is a commercial Luger. They don't have much collectability anyways. How would a moderatly pitted out barrel cause a safety issue. Because pitting and rust are obstructions, plus the lands and groove of a barrel are suppose to provide a smooth unobstructed path for the bullet to travel along. The thing I have to ask you Edward is why not put your shooter Lugers back into service. I rather have a functional gun than a 2 pound paper weight. True, more damage is done by cleaning than shooting but simple neglect can turn bad if not taken care of. To me once pitting starts there is no way to stop it. It just keeps going unless you can remove the pitting entirely. Now if this was about a rare Luger or military Luger things might be different. But still, I will stand my ground that bad things happen when you least expect them too and it doesn't take much for a pistol to kaboom. Plus 1rp12 stated it looked like the barrel rusted bad and then had ammo fired thru it. I just would take any chances. It is better to be safe than sorry. Thanks Arvin
Arvin is offline   Reply With Quote