View Single Post
Unread 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #14
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,426 Posts

Phil, The trick to strawing is to cut the heat slightly before straw takes place. The ejector or any metal... acts like a heat sink. It will continue to absorb heat. I don't know the metalurgical process but I know how it does it in practical terms.

Since you cannot effectively stop the process you must turn off the heat before the straw takes place and let the straw appear as the metal attracts the last of the heat.

I have great success strawing or fire bluing with a plumbers torch and a fire brick. Gently wave a flame over the metal..patience is required. 450 degrees is quite cool as heating metal goes..it is important to heat evenly..never stop in one place. You can also pull the flame away let it cool and soak for a couple of degrees and continue to heat with no ill effects.

I suspect your problem with the toaster oven is the flashlight beam is likely yellow and you cannot accurately determine color with it. Perhaps an LED light might work better?

You can polish a nail and practice with a torch. Once you get the hang of it...it's a cinch. Just remember small parts are one thing..larger parts like a trigger are another. That takes even heat over a longer period of time and a toaster oven is probably better.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is offline   Reply With Quote