Thread: Halo marks
View Single Post
Unread 08-04-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
4 Scale
User

I agree the fake halos in Norms example are crude. But I would still suggest care in inspecting halos, I don't view halos or really any aspect of original finish as a binary issue.

I've dabbled in hobbies that include placing different finishes on various materials. IMO given the right equipment, not only could more convincing halos be created but other aspects could be faked to make refinished pieces look original. The key variables would be faker skill and time devoted, the expertise of the person inspecting and if the inspection included magnification. I enjoy fixing up shooters and have played around with some "improvements" for my own satisfaction, not to boost value for sale. I agree with Dwight's sentiment and would prefer not to describe possible approaches.

Once apon a time, I had a nice re-blued shooter. I improved it, no halo work but some other things. I sold it to a person I considered a knowledgable collector. I carefully pointed out the remaining evidence of re-blue, and my 'improvements'. My conscience was clear and he paid a shooter price. I know for a fact he later sold the pistol as original at a non-shooter price, probably to a newbie as the re-blue evidence remaining was significant. We will not do business again.

The point being Luger collectors can't be too careful. IMO the best insurance against fakes is to try to examine as many originals as possible. Magnification helps too.
4 Scale is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 7 members says Thank You to 4 Scale for your post: