View Single Post
Unread 01-30-2006, 11:14 AM   #12
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

GT,

I once built a tumbler (primarily for cases) out of a hard plastic 5 quart bucket with a snap down lid, that was installed on a threaded shaft that stuck out of a worm gear reduction assembly that was originally a window crank in a european car. I mounted the bucket at a 45 degree angle to the ground so the contents wouldn't spill out when opened it and the bucket didn't have to be removed to sift the stuff for the material I was tumbling... I used an old washing machine motor and a piece of rubber fuel line to make the connection to the turning end shaft and I got about 30 RPM on the bucket... I used walnut shell and a half cup of jeweler's rouge and got a nice soft finish on anything that I tumbled... mY total cost was $5.00 for the window crank gear assembly at a junk yard... plus the cost of the tumbling medium...

That device is 25 years old and still in my attic!

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote