View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2001, 04:05 PM   #30
bill m
User

Default Re: Matching parts;I agree Kyrie

Mike,

That is exactly the point. You would never know the difference if no one would tell you, and do you really think a dealer is going to volunteer this information? Every Luger that you or Kyrie, or I own, is suspect to not being original as issued. Outside of the proper numbers and proofs there is no way that anyone can tell what was put on at the factory and what was put on 5 months ago. Anyone that claims they can tell the difference in a factory installed firing pin, or hold-open, or trigger is just plain full of bull****, in my opinion! All this "restored" and "not original" crap is just that -- "crap", as no one has the capability to tell when the part was put on, being it a part from a like gun. Sure, the inside side plate number gives you a clue on Mausers, but there are exceptions to that also. Outside of a few polish marks, there is just no way to know unless you were at the factory to pick up the gun. Once your neighbor, or friend, sells you that Luger, and they would never mess with it, right, or take it to a gunsmith, or a dealer to look at, you presume it is original and as it left the factory. You do not know this, but this is what you believe. In the real world, you would never be told what was replaced, and you would never have a clue, and you would be a happy little camper with your new toy! I understand Kyrie's point of view, but it just isn't going to happen that way, and for the past 50 years collectors and dealers have been switching parts. No one knows what was put on at the factory, so we have to go by all matching numbers of the same style and finish and correct proofs and polish marks and rub marks. This whole thread is getting ridicious as to what is "original" and what is "restored", as unless you did it, there is no one else going to know!