View Single Post
Unread 08-26-2001, 08:32 AM   #22
Kyrie
User

Default Re: Matching parts

Hi Bill,

Absolutely no offense intended, but I think you have missed the point of what â??matchingâ?? means to a collector. Matching is collector verbal shorthand for â??the pistol has all its original partsâ??. If a seller describes a pistol as â??all matchingâ?? he is making a statement of the pistolâ??s condition, and value.

Regarding telling the difference between side plates â??between 2 or more like kind same number sideplates in equal condition made by the same manufacturer within a short time period say 5 yearsâ?? I have two comments. Firstly, the situation arises so rarely that the question never comes up in the real world. Secondly, there are indeed ways to tell which side plate (if either) is original to a specific pistol. This is actually a subject that has come up here, and one of the methods to make determination has been discussed. I will not discuss it further, as I will not aid those folks I view as forgers in an activity I can only see as unethical and unlawful.

Your comment that a Luger which has been made to look like it matches by substituting parts â??will not be devalued but will increase in value because of the matching sideplateâ?? is precisely what Iâ??m warning folks about, and why I call such pieces fakes.

In terms of swapping un-numbered parts, some fakes are easier to spot that others. The swapping of un-numbered parts can be very difficult to detect. Failing to detect a fake does not make the pistol genuine any more than an unsolved crime ceases to be a crime if the culprit isnâ??t caught and convicted. Not getting caught isnâ??t the same thing as being honest

Best regards,

Kyrie