View Single Post
Unread 09-24-2003, 09:48 PM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

I look forward to your pictures - take your time, and let me know if you have any difficulties posting them, OK?

Also - here are two thoughts for you.....

Books are not outdated. My hat is off to Costanzo, Gibson, Datig - and numerous others who "DARED" to author books based on their research and unique efforts. They are milestones - and give all of us a reference point we can all agree to - or choose to disagree. Are they always 100% complete? No. Are they always 100% accurate? No. But that does not diminish their individual efforts in the least. For that - I'm saddened that Sam, Randall and others will never publish an addendum or updates to their incredible undertakings, given the personal attacks they have taken. In short - they simply dared to make a difference - and they have. Will there be more books published? Certainly - each building upon further research and information. To that point.....

Ask any Luger collector what they "think they know", and they will be pleased to tell you. However - ask them to do the "research" THEMSELVES, and what aspects are UNIQUE based on THEIR individual efforts - and most are mute.

My point is - is that this Luger collecting "thing" still has many mysteries to unravel and many secrets to be discovered. To those who do the research THEMSELVES - rather then simply parrot previous collectors who dared to write a book or post a few times in the NAPCA newsletter and mimic those posts - rather, those who actually do the research themselves will be the successful collectors who have both insight and knowledge. They may never write a book or post to NAPCA, but that does not diminish their efforts or research one least bit.

In short - those who build on their own research from the foundations provided by Costanzo, Datig and in this case Mr. Gibson. Those will be the collectors of note "tomorrow".

Just my opinion.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote