Thread: My 3 Shooters
View Single Post
Unread 07-29-2002, 02:45 PM   #7
Doubs
User

Thanked 1,614 Times in 525 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by Rick W.:
<strong>I have not seen a P38 in 30 Luger, were these post war varieties like the 22lr version? After all the talk about P38's I finally handled a couple last weekend, both of these were alloy framed. I am a little afraid of the alloy, but the guns came up nice with the sights. Trigger on these two was not much to write home about, but twas one of the first double action guns I think.
Rick W.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not certain if the P-38 was made in .30 Luger before the war or not but I wouldn't be surprised. Interarms brought some in over the years and I imagine those that come up for sale are Interarms imports. Like you, I have reservations about alloy and wish the German military had stayed with steel frames. The P-1 I bought last week is, as far as I can determine, brand new and very nice. It's a great time to buy a P-1 as I've not seen lower prices in many years. The double action isn't the best on the P-38 and it was the first military semi-auto pistol adopted by a major power to offer that feature. The single action on my P-1 is pretty nice though. The P-38/P-1 is supremely reliable and is a good choice as a sidearm.

I've looked for spare barreled Luger receivers or cannons for years. You're very fortunate to find two. I have one that has a stub of an Artillery barrel attached and one day I'll have Hugh rebarrel it with an 8 inch .30 barrel. It has the trigger bar still but I'll need an ejector. Plenty of time because I don't have the barrel yet. I'll find one eventually.
Doubs is offline   Reply With Quote