View Single Post
Unread 03-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #54
Edward Tinker
Super Moderator
Eternal Lifer
LugerForum
Patron

Thanked 4,500 Times in 2,076 Posts

Although little to do with Dave's luger, I received an unexpected call about two 'shooter' 1911A1's from RIA.

I haggled a bit and got them for about $700 each shipped - one is obviously worth a bit more than the other. One is a Nickle plated, with all military markings gone from it and has antler / stag grips. - result, my wife likes it, the grips are very nice and probably worth a couple hundred by themselves, and the bore cleaned up nicely. Its a very tight 1911A1. With a nice Remington Rand marking on the left. I figure a shooter 45 goes for around $600-$750?
The second is a Remington Rand frame with an Ithaca slide. Although the sn range says its a Rem Rand frame and not an Ithaca, it has all the characteristics of a Ithaca, but they shared a lot of parts. So, I am assuming a mixmaster possible made up later. Barrel was much rougher, but I swapped it with a newer colt barrel. Finish was frosted with light pitting here and there and a slight orange color that today cleaned up very nicely. A well worn, but decent war-horse. I think if selling I could ask $1000-$1200 ?

On both purchases (Simson and these) I sent a personal / biz check. Received Simson in less than a week, and received these about 14 days after sending the check. Both were much quicker turnarounds than I have seen before, but they also have my credit card on file, so I assume they figure they could always charge it.

Anyway, prices are always more than I like at auction, and the descriptions on the regionals are so awful and vague that you can't go by the codes they suggest IMHO.
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I, Vol II, Vol III and Vol IV

Edward Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote