View Single Post
Unread 03-20-2015, 03:22 PM   #44
ithacaartist
Twice a Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,319 Posts
Default Update

I picked up the 1900 from the dealer yesterday. Those who suggested it were correct, it does look a bit better in-hand than in the auction pics. With what little time I had when I returned home, I was able to field strip and clean it pretty well, and wiped it down well with oil. Everything checked out in good structural shape, so, a little lithium grease applied to the rails, a drop of oil on each moving joint, and I loaded a single .30 Luger round that was on my desk into the mag, cycled it into the chamber just fine, and went out back to give it a go. Click. I had my suspicions about the firing pin spring-you'll see why when I post the pics--so tried again with a fresh, proper spring. Bang, she went! Ejection and hold-open functioned just fine. Whew!

Some features/issues. 1) The extractor seems twisted, and it kind of jiggles around in its moorings when the chamber is empty. I had judged it sound enough for a few shots, and it presented no problem. I'm looking for a replacement extractor now. 2) The right grip is loose, even under the screw, so I will remedy that. 3) No import marks! 4) Crown B and U proofed. 5) All numbers match, all appear righteous, except the firing pin--which 6) looks weird at its tip, is numbered "32" instead of "02", and is fluted sides and bottom. I'll show that in a pic when I post them. I think I'm also looking for a new/replacement 1900 firing pin, as they are a little different than the P.08s'.

Stay tuned...