View Single Post
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:52 PM   #43
John Sabato
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,096 Posts

On the contrary Bob... I find your photo contribution quite interesting... Thanks.

Much of the work done on the original Lugers were machined from forgings...quite of bit of machining compared to today's shortcut methods of manufactuer...

The Mitchell Luger you have so kindly illustrated compared to my editing of Postino's photo below shows how much rougher the casting (versus forging) was, and how some shortcuts were taken in manufacture...

While my eyes can't conduct a brinnell hardness test, what I see in the photo combined with my previous experiences in metallurgy tell me that the stainless steel used was considerably softer than the original guns.

The Houston Texas manufacturer of all of the stainless guns also decided (like the Swiss 06/29, and the Mauser 1970 guns) that these internal cuts shown in this photo were either too difficult or the results unnecessary to modern reproductions of the original design, so they were simplified.

Attached Images

"...We hold these truths to be self-evident that ALL men are created EQUAL and are endowed by their Creator with certain UNALIENABLE rights, and among these are life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness..."
John Sabato is offline   Reply With Quote