View Single Post
Unread 04-20-2002, 12:19 PM   #5
mlm

Default Re: cleaning dirty holsters and how

Excellent comments, Marvin. Two things I will add. First, museums don't actually have procedures, conservators do. That helps explain some of the variation in advice and dispel some popular "gun show myths". Some conservators do not specialize in preserving organic materials such as leather, paper and cloth. They may have been trained prior to 1990 when treatments to leather were chemical in nature. The experience of drying and cracking of leather book bindings (due to "leather dressing") is one of the anecdotes I've heard that signals the end of the use of liquid treatments in the 1990s.

Respectable museums do not endorse nor have policies regarding leather treatment. That is why they hire conservators. It is the conservator who selects and implements conservation methods. Those conservators often read about methods in society publications. Although a lot has been written about paper conservation, leather is a very neglected topic of research. It is extremely difficult to conserve but a lot of progress is being made.

The second point I want to make is that many collectors seem not to understand the concept of "sparingly". More is better to many of them. When I see Pecards on a holster, it is often as thick as frosting on a cake. Regardless, it is sticky which retains dirt and darkens the leather. As a petroleum-based substance, it can dissolve leather fibers over time. It imparts a dull shine but has no preservation benefits of which I am aware.

Be very cautious in using any substance on your valuable collectibles.

Enjoy the comments.

dm