View Single Post
Unread 04-20-2002, 07:47 AM   #4
Marvin
User

Default Re: cleaning dirty holsters and how

Rob,

Cleaning a holster can be very "touchy", and must be done carefully. some folks say that a holster should never be touched from the way ti comes, others say to use this product or that product. There have been articles that mueseum says this is the correct procedure and another museum saus something differrent. To be totally honest, I don't know who is correct!

As far as cleaning the holster, I use a very soft brush to remove any surface dirt and then follow up with Lexol. The Lexol does tend to remove some dirt from the surface. I ONLY use one light application of the Lexol and when it dries, I very lightly buff the surface. Then I put a 1/4" dia roll of bubble wrap in the belt loops and a suff soem bubble wrap into the holster. This is then placed in a box, in a humidity controlled vault. One of the worst things for a holster is sunlight and high humidity.

Other may disagree with my procedure, but it has worked for me for over 25 years with good results. I do not recommend the use of chemical cleaning agents, saddle soap, neatsfoot oil, mink oil, shoe polish, or anything other than Lexol or Pecards. When either of these tow are used, they must be used SPARINGLY!!!!!!

Marvin