View Single Post
Unread 09-20-2022, 08:26 PM   #17
1994Stoeger
User

Ok, why does it seem like everyone else stumbles into such good scenarios with unmolested Lugers?

(Ok, had to get that out. All pointless bitching aside, hopefully you will become the custodian of this nice piece.]

I suspect there are more opinions regarding the “correct” soaking medium for this task than there are members on this forum. My thoughts go to a petroleum-based lubricant product with a very low viscosity at ambient temperature as a good place to start. For what it is worth, I have had very good results in the past for such applications (poorly stored guns with stuck parts) using automotive transmission fluid. One could argue Dexron vs Mercon vs ATF+4 (Chrysler). Most, if not all, of the above have fairly low viscosities/surface tension (for getting into cracks, nooks, and crevices), are not very volatile, are designed to have prolonged contact with a variety of metals as well as composite components, as well as having some detergent qualities. No, they are not “dedicated gun solvents” and some here will likely vehemently disagree. After soaking for anywhere between a few hours to a week or more, I have never found anything worth salvaging which wouldn’t eventually yield to a good soak in the above.

Your results may vary. Good luck. It looks like a nice keeper if you get it.

Last edited by 1994Stoeger; 09-20-2022 at 08:28 PM. Reason: Spelling
1994Stoeger is offline   Reply With Quote
The following member says Thank You to 1994Stoeger for your post: