View Single Post
Unread 12-12-2016, 12:47 PM   #15
Lugerdoc
Patron
LugerForum
Patron

DocS, Good luck removing those rusted in grip screws. You may want to have a competent gunsmith do that job for you, because if the top break off, he will have to "easy out" the threaded portion. I do have a couple of original grips screws in stock @$10 each or correct size, new repros @$5 each. On a rusty luger such as yours, I'd probably remove the grips, then soak it in paint thinner (cheap) completely disassembled. clean off rust with a steel brush (won't hurt the orig rust-blued finish) and do the finer removal with the steel wool. Once the rust is removed, the white bare metal will show thru and will need to be covered with either cold blue, grease or oil. It would take a talented restorer to properly weld up the deep pitting and rerust blue. at a cost of a $1,000 or more. I don't do refinishing, but if you just wanted it as a shooter, perhaps your local gunsmith can do a beadblast and hot dip blue for a lot less. This would be the quick & easy way to remove the active rust and prevent futher rusting. Good luck, Lugerdoc
The following member says Thank You to Lugerdoc for your post: