View Single Post
Unread 07-06-2020, 11:55 AM   #25
eagle7373
User

Very nice pistol. I also have a Swiss Model 29 and I love it.

You mentioned that you were using PPU ammo. I also used PPU initially in my Swiss Luger. It is consistent, and accurate, but pretty stoutly loaded. Produces a "basketball-sized" fireball, which is annoying if you're shooting indoors.

I think you can only get two factory brands of 7.65 Parabellum in the U.S... PPU and Fiocchi. Last I checked, Fiocchi is more expensive than PPU, but it is a lower pressure (with little fireball) and lower recoil ammo, compared to PPU.

All Lugers are dependent on barrel length for properly "matching" up with the right ammo. DWM made a whole series of 4-inch barrel Lugers in the 1920's which are known as the "Alphabet DWMs." I have one of those as well and because it has a shorter 7.65 barrel than your Swiss Luger, it requires more "oompf" to properly cycle the pistol. It is my unofficial theory that PPU optimizes their ammo to operate a 4-inch barrel pistol, while Fiocchi, optimizes their ammo to operate the Swiss Luger with it's 4.75-inch barrel.

All of this a long way of me suggesting that you might want to try some Fiocchi ammo as well. A general rule of thumb for all auto pistols is that you should use the least powerful ammo that reliably cycles the action. That way you are not beating up the pistol as you slam the parts together unnecessarily.

I load my own 7.65 ammo now and have different loads tuned to my pistols, including one for my post-war Mauser Parabellum with six-inch barrel. Highly accurate.

Best of luck on your collector pistol.