View Single Post
Unread 03-11-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
Rick W.
User

G.T.,

I think Vlim has the thought to ponder/approach.

One sometimes wonders about the real function of the extractor in a blow back type pistol. Some think that the extractor actually removes the casing from the chamber proper, others think it merely serves to hold the case against the breech face long enough that the ejector gets its timing on it for removal from the action.

Some early high standard pistols for competition had their extractors removed for improved function during rapid fire events.

One sees Luger extractors with complimentary springs that were really not meant for one another. The stack up minimum occurs before the full movement of the hook over the rim and the extractor becomes kinda a 1900 type, becomes a spring itself. This condition of too long a spring under the extractor will shorten the life of said extractor in my view.

Guess one could envision the hard over extractor holding onto the case aggressively during ejection movement, and hit the side of the barrel extension. One might take a looksee at the tip of the ejector hook for shape(?). Just a surmise, here. But one would think that something is holding onto something too long, and ramming the case against something hard. The Luger seems to be a pistol of balances throughout.

I have not really pondered how the ejector works much lately, it does have some movement laterally, and the edge forward is shaped for a reason I am sure. How all of that plays during the motion is still somewhat of a mystery here.

Rick W.
Rick W. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 3 members says Thank You to Rick W. for your post: