View Single Post
Unread 12-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Joe in Colorado
User

Default Questions please on my first “06/24 Bern”

My name is Joe, I’m a long time non-advanced collector in Colorado. I just took delivery of this pleasant looking pistol and holster from Collector’s Firearms in Houston. I’ve never owned one of these and hardly looked at them before. This pistol fits in my 9-Luger collection as tie-in to several Mauser Parabellums via a 1929 Swiss. (An odd story-of course Mauser started with the more “modern” 1929 style pistol and gradually moved backwards to this earlier model to suite collector’s tastes.)

From what I can see the pistol is a recent import and has been rebuilt. At first I thought just the barrel extension had been refinished because the inspector “M” has been smeared-also the “725” on the bottom-probably when the barrel (with a small cross on the right side) was replaced. I first thought the receiver was not refinished because the safety area was still white-but in taking the photo for my post it now seems the finish there has been removed by careful machining. (???) The front sight has been neatly filed in several spots-except for a couple of file blows that struck the barrel. The rear sight has been shaped to a “U” and perhaps lightly filed on top. The hold open face is a bit beat up, the bolt face (no photo) shows little or no firing since it was last finished. The firing pin seems to be marked “77”. No "P/date" stamp. I note the sear bar is dark only on the front half, leaving the side uncovered by the side plate in the white. I can't say that I like the import mark but it's neatly done and I can live with it, the price was $1610. I don't need a perfect example for my purposes and nicer ones seem to priced a lot more.

Having said all that, now I hope that some kindly and experienced collectors could comment, especially on which parts of the rework had been or may have been done in Swiss Army service, while refurbished by the Swiss, while owned by a fairly neat Swiss target shooter, or done recently in a possibly low-class workshop to make the pistol presentable for sale.

What about firing this pistol? It should be 100 years old next year.

Thank you, Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	70070  

Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	70071