Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
Maybe "changing" the load, is more a appropriate description of
what Ithacartist means to do.

I doubt he means reloading fired brass!
Theoretically it could be done, but likely with a very low
success rate.

But that is JMHO.
It's a floor wax and a dessert topping! You are both sort of correct. I ran across a few YouTubes of people reloading fired .22 brass.

It's difficult to disassemble the round because of the crimp, which really locks the round in there. You'd have to destroy new rounds to have primed cases--which would next need to have their necks expanded before replacing the projectile and re-crimping effectively enough for the round to feed. (Remember that the case is the same O.D. as the bullet.)

Nope, I'm gonna have the fun of firing the new brass first, then work with the empties. I'll make some tooling to reach in and clean out the insides of the rims, tap the dent from the f.p. back into place, re-pack the rim with an alternate primer, work up a powder load, and crimp everything back together around a fresh bullet--which I also may have to make or modify.

Success was definitely not 100% for what I saw demonstrated, but the guys doing it were doofuses, and I think a more precise job will come out better than theirs. At this point, I think the new primer should be of as fine a texture as possible, and packed as densely as possible into the inside of the rim. I'm hoping I'll be able to prime at least as well as Remington!

Homemade primer options include a paste of black powder and acetone, and similar goo made from the phosphorous compound on the tips of strike-anywhere matches. I'm sure it's all corrosive as the dickens, but, hey, I'll be shooting it through one of my old Ermas, which I will clean thoroughly afterwards.

p.s. I'll be wearing safety glasses at the very least!