View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2001, 09:46 AM   #24
Roger Seymour

Default A couple of Other Ideas

Having had my Luger for only six months, I can relate to this thread. Taking any weapon down for the first time is always a trying experience, whether you 're doing it alone or with a DI breathing down your neck. Add in the fact that your new Luger is a "Classic" and you probably don't have a manual and it becomes downright traumatic. I downloaded disassembly instructions from three difference web sites before trying. In the end, I found the first H&L E-book on the Luger the most helpful, with its color pictures and accompanying text. However, I probably looked pretty silly breaking down a Luger in front of a computer screen.

Couple, three cleaing aids I haven't heard mentioned yet. Canned Air - the best thing to happen to gun cleaning since Breakfree. Gets into all the tiny nooks and slots. Pipe cleaners, especially the bristly kind. Better than Q-tips, since they can be bent into almost any shape and don't fall apart. Old Mouse Pads are great for holding parts, just use a brighly colored one.

Final thought, most of us should limit our disassembly to "field stripping." Military weapons builders are alway conscience of the fact that their design must be GI proof. Most military small arms are intended to be easily broken down to a certain level by the soldier for cleaning and quick replacment repairs. Anything else and the weapon is suppose to go to higher echelon for expert repair. For us civilians that means a gunsmith.