View Single Post
Unread 05-11-2016, 05:23 PM   #26
GerColctor
User

My collectable C&R guns are stored in a humidity controlled safe in CT and I also have another similar unit at our home in SW FL, where there is only one Imperial Luger and holster residing. My neighbors all have modern handguns stored in various types/sizes of safes, no holsters and most of them upon returning to FL after spending the summer months at their northern homes have discovered that some or all of their modern pistols (not stainless) were effected by the humidity and tropical dampness.

Last year I convinced one of them, whose firearms suffered rust, some pitting under the grips, to spend the money and buy a "real" 5' high end, humidity controlled gun safe and since then he has had no issues. The other 2 neighbors now store their pistols in my safe when they return home for extended periods. No problems with their guns last season, we will see how it goes this year.

I think that the environment where guns are stored has a huge effect on whether they will be damage by humidity or dampness, with or w/o holsters. The evidence room in our police station was not humidity controlled or even ventilated, there wasn't even a portable dehumidifier used and all of the firearms that were stored in open ranks, rusted after a few months during the summer. Was more then a bit embarrassing when burglary victims showed up to pickup their "recovered" weapons that were ordered by the courts to be returned, and they saw the condition after being kept in that room for a couple of years. Never a good conversation/s, but then, "we are from the government and we are here to help".

Power outage is always a threat and thats what we keep the generator is for.