Thread: 9mm ammo
View Single Post
Unread 10-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #39
kurusu
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
I do believe Zorba meant why that particular ammo would cause harm.
We have most all seen evidence of "toggle slap", but have no idea whether a few or a few hundred rounds of "hot ammo" caused it- or thousands of rounds of "normal" 9mm P; or a weak mainspring caused the any problem

You and others "assume" it will cause "problems", but without any data or experience with the same ammo to back it up.
Without evidence- like published velocity data, or first hand experience; it is all conjecture.
Everyone has said- "maybe, could, might, possible"; which sounds like "nervous Nellies" to me.

JMHO.
My view on "toggle slap". Toggle slap is part of the Luger operation as much as the mark on the VIS of a 1911. It will occur with any military specs ammo. The amount of firing done with the pistol will increase the marked area without fail. The truth is, most Lugers were very seldom fired, even during the war, pistols were mostly a badge of rank or a last resort weapon. Any Luger that has shot more than 2k rounds will have evidence of "toggle slap". Either you shoot it or you don't.

Of course you can carefully tailor loads that will not do that (around 850 fps with a 124gr bullet will do that, and the pistol will cycle), but they be will well below any militay specs load performance. And the Luger was designed as a militay pistol from the start even those in .30 caliber.

Last edited by kurusu; 10-03-2018 at 06:56 PM.
kurusu is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to kurusu for your post: