View Single Post
Unread 07-10-2002, 09:27 AM   #11
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

[quote]Originally posted by Lugerdoc:
<strong>John D, I believe that all S code KH PO8s were made in 1936, before the open dating was allowed.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hi Tom.!

Yes - as according to Gibson, you are absolutely correct, sorry about that..! However, as you may recall, there was a lengthy discussion on the old Forum between Bill M. and myself regarding exactly this topic - when were the "S" codes manufactured/delivered. Gibson states 1936 for all "S" code. However he also states the following:

'Kreighoff production began in late 1934 or early 1935..'

'G Code estimated production was 50 Lugers'

So - that leaves a *huge* gap in production (50 units in late '34/early '35) to 1936 when the Ealy "S" appeared (est. production - 1800 units)? Anyway, given the similiarities in proofs/markings between the "G" and the Early "S" - I also strongly believe that at least the Early "S" (if not all "S" dates) were manufactured in 1935, but I'm still trying to determine when they were actually "delivered".

Additionally, as pointed out by Bill M. in that previous discussioin - in 1936, Mauser abandoned the "letter dating" and went to "1936" - which raises the question as to why Krieghoff would have implemented an "S" code at all during a year that they, in later production that same year, and Mauser simply put "1936" rather then a Letter code? I think where both Bill M. and I ended up is that a reasonable explanation would be that the "S" codes were produced/marked "S" before Germany dropped the "letter" coding, again - strongly indicating 1935 production.

In either case, you are correct - as either of these dates precedes Datig's estimated production date of 1939..!!!
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote