View Single Post
Unread 03-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #58
Sieger
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
The long-awaited, backordered 3-die set of RCBS 8mm Nambu reloading dies arrived today. Ordered 12/27/13, arrived 03/13/14.

There are a few slight differences from the used set I purchased on eBay. Nothing major. The expander die is separate, like my used set. The sizer die does not use the expander 'ball' like RCBS Tech Support sent me. So I'll continue to use my home-made expander die (I'll be listing this new unused die set in the For Sale sub-forum).

I have three different digital & dial calipers; they all read differently. So, the expander is either .3185", .319", or .321". Take your pick.

This set uses the setscrew locking rings. I really prefer the older split rings. Just my preference.
Hi,

Years ago I experienced the same level of frustration with an RCBS set of dies for my 11mm Mauser rifle.

I finally gave up dealing with the Neanderthals and had a custom "M" Expander Die" made up. Ah, perfection, at last, was achieved!!!

By the way, having measured original, FMJ Japanese bullets from .320 to .322, I'm trying to figure out why this group of Neanderthals have given you an expander button ranging from only .3185 to .321: as the expander should be your bullet's diameter, plus a few thousands, to allow for brass snap back. Certainly, a proper expander die has got to allow for the adequate belling of the case mouth as well.

Just some thoughts.

Sieger
Sieger is offline   Reply With Quote