View Single Post
Unread 12-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #57
Gavno The Ugly
User

Driven by curiosity, I dug up a somewhat disreputable 18mm lens and had a go at trying to do detailed photos of the Luger. The results were surprising indeed!

I'd forgotten something that forensic shooters know WELL; using a flash, details often show up that are invisible to the naked eye. Well, my little strobe turned up a LOT of details.

Yes, my "barrel date code" is indeed the 8.83 marking; it shows up beautifully in the pictures.

Luger barrel details by Gavno The Ugly, on Flickr

I'm beginning to think that this thing WASN'T rebarreled; note the aligned index marks. Perhaps it was ALWAYS a 9 mm ???

Most interesting... the proof marks on the right side are now legible. Besides that, a proof on the barrel turned up; before, I'd dismissed it as a rust pitted spot! Also, evidence of a third proof mark showed up, but it's 90% sandblasted away.

Luger proof marks by Gavno The Ugly, on Flickr

The toggle is here...

Luger toggle detail by Gavno The Ugly, on Flickr

I'm in doubt about some of the metal scars on the sideplate... possibly ANOTHER proof mark that got buffed out???

Serial number details by Gavno The Ugly, on Flickr

Hope this gives you some more information for the database.