Unread 01-21-2014, 11:48 PM   #19
sheepherder
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 4,438 Times in 2,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W. View Post
One would suspect that the first die oversizes the case, then the middle die first portion sizes the interior of the neck, then the option to bell is available.
That is what most of their 3-die sets do. This one is different...

Brass thickness would not affect the expander; it's going to expand it to .321" ID no matter what the case wall is...

RCBS may have made these dies for a larger bullet; say .322"-.323"...But besides Lebel & Nagant there haven't been any .322"-.323" 8mm pistol cartridges...According to COTW...

Quote:
Could entertain taking the inside sizing plug, the first area, and knock it down a little for grip on the bullet in hand.
I expect I will end up making another expander ram for my home made die body and try to get it right around .320"...Make the first 3/16"-1/4" @ .320" and then a quick taper for a slight bell on the case mouth...

I'll try emailing RCBS and ask if they still have instructions for this die set and maybe find out what they intended...

Edit: HMOCC recommends using "Lyman bullet #32362 sized .321"...Maybe RCBS made their die set for this one bullet??? Maybe it was the only one available back when the 36404 die set was offered???

Edit2: This site shows the Lyman 32362 as a .325" cast bullet...

http://www.darkcanyon.net/lymancastbulletinfo.html

I tried the Lyman site; that number doesn't show anything...

Edit: Emails sent to both RCBS and Lyman. Waiting for replies.

I'm getting too old for this stuff anyway. I should be looking into shuffleboarding...Bingo...TV...Pottery making...Stuff that people my age do...

Last edited by sheepherder; 01-22-2014 at 09:52 AM.
sheepherder is offline   Reply With Quote