View Single Post
Unread 12-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #5
G.T.
Lifer
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,583 Times in 989 Posts
Default stronger and better!

Hi to all! As with anything, practice makes perfect... When I first started, I was trying anything and every thing to make the drums fit, function, and last! And by saying everything, I MEAN everything... ... I literally spent 3 months on three prototype drums just to satisfactorily reach those basic goals! Don can relate as he was with me every step of the way!
We finally chased it all down to a repair protocol that we could do repeatedly, with the necessary quality, and with some measure of confidence that we were solving the main problems? We were still way short of feasible!!!!
The solution to each of the problems that we encountered was a quest unto itself! We couldn't even do one revision operation cost effectively let alone 20 of them for each drum?.. So, once the problem and the repair process were identified, then began the effort to make the repairs or revisions repeatable and most importantly, cost effective... That means using the proper processes, and even having some parts remade or welded up and recut... This is where the better comes in, we can take each process that's within our control, and streamline them for production, and all the while improving the materials and processes needed... And, This second batch was a total learning experience, not on how to do it, but how to do it best! Everything mentioned above taken into consideration, we are doing great... My goal is 50 units per month... A lot depends on my outside work... welders machinist, black oxide coating... and so on... And, when I need to pony up out of pocket for the outside work, sometime, all I can offer up is a lint ball... (we're working on that!) All in all, I'm plenty happy with all so far... keeps me out of trouble so to speak! .........Merry Christmas to all, til...lat'r....GT...
G.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 5 members says Thank You to G.T. for your post: