View Single Post
Unread 05-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #23
GerColctor
User

Not questioning the wisdom of storage techniques from guys on this forum that have significant Luger, etc. collections and greater longevity in this field of interest. I have read about these storage issues a number of times, but before all the info was put on the internet I just carefully stored my C&R guns and never gave any thought about the holsters being a possible risk to the finish of the pistols.

All of my Lugers, P-38, Hi Power, Beretta, Nambu, M1914, etc, as well as matching or "correct" mags & tools are stored in appropriately dated holsters. These rigs are kept in high end humidity controlled safes in both CT and in SW FL. Some of the rigs have been stored in my CT safe over 25 years. Periodically the guns are removed wiped down, holsters are also "cleaned" with a different cloth. Only one holster that contains a Hi Power develops an issue, it gets a light white covering on the leather, that is very easy to remove using a clean cotton cloth. The presence of the P-35 is not the cause, as it was happening before I ever got the right gun to fill it and it earned a seat in the safe. There has never been any of the light red colored rust evidence from the guns on my cleaning cloths.

I place 2 Luger holsters with pistols side by side facing opposite directions, in cardboard boxes that are a perfect fit. These boxes can hold 3 smaller or pocket size guns with holsters. They stack neatly 3 high on each shelf in the safe. Do not need to use these containers (yet) in the FL safe, as the inventory is significantly smaller.

In my "gun" room there is a standard 4 drawer file cabinet, which the lower 3 are filled primarily with Luger holsters, plus a few other military ones. Each Luger holster contains a mag and tool, unfortunately each is still waiting for the right pistol to move in. One of these extra Luger holsters has a history of getting partially covered with the same white film that the Hi Power holster in the safe is affected with. There has been never been an issue in removing the mags from the leather sleeves. Sometimes the tool compartment is a little tight. All of my holsters are cleaned and protected right after purchase.

There has never been any rust evidence on my mostly early 98ks that are all kept in the CT safe. These rifles are obviously uncovered.