View Single Post
Unread 03-08-2022, 09:17 PM   #11
spripple33
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonVoigt View Post
To the point:
This would seem to confirm this s.n. as also part of the original 1000 gun delivery?

I don't think so, at least not definitively; the upper could have been changed at any time and by anyone prior to the refinish. That the font is the same would be expected within that serial range. JMHO
Don,

I agree with you and that's why I said "would seem" and phrased it as a question. I am very interested in ALL opinions on this specific aspect of this Luger- good, bad or indifferent.

I am not nearly as knowledgeable as you or many others here about such things so I am hoping this post will help me and other "newbies" learn about this Luger specifically and test eagles in general... I will just give my reasoning on why I think this is the most likely explanation.

I find the axiom that the simplest explanation is the most likely one to be true. This Luger possibly being one used in the interchangeability test IS the simplest explanation. It being assembled by Bannerman out of test eagles too rough to sell as complete guns is the second simplest.

I think it would be an AMAZING coincidence if, sometime after it was sold by Bannerman, the frame just happened to get matched up with an American Eagle barrel/receiver that has no commercial proofmarks and is also in the generally accepted test eagle s.n. range AND with a toggle assembly that also has no commercial proofmarks. It would almost have to be done with knowledge and intent.

If the person who matched them up then restored it, why would they then actively use it, knowing it's desirability? Quite a bit, judging by the almost complete lack of bluing on the grip straps and frame rails. The refinish looks very old and the mismatched parts look like they have all been together for a long time.

Respectfully,
-Jason
spripple33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The following 2 members says Thank You to spripple33 for your post: