View Single Post
Unread 04-11-2008, 01:15 AM   #24
alvin
User

I met a situation last year. I was an online seller and a buyer tried hard to cheat me. Here is the story:

I had a rifle for sell online asking $780. A guy contacted me saying he wanted it, straight forward, no bargain, he would pay $780 + shipping but he's traveling and his wife would send me a check. I reminded him I need 01 FFL besides $$ to send a gun out. "No problem", he replied.

The check arrived in a few days. Weird enough, it's a AT&T company check and the amount was not $800, it's $4000. This guy even called me explaining the mistake -- he bought two guns, $800 & $4000, and his stupid wife sent me the wrong check. He asked me to deposit this check and he trusted "You are honest and would refund $3200 back to me".

Actually, the cheating situation was obvious here (when I looked back). However, the desire to sell this gun out blinded my eyes, and I did not reject the transaction immediately. I told him the check must be cleared before I refund anything, and the gun could only be sent to a 01 FFL holder. He said he would be back to home in a few days and find a transfering dealer.

The check was deposited and the annoying part started. This guy kept pushing me to refund him via "Western Union" (wire transfer), and gave me detail steps on how to do that with great patience. I re-evaluated the situation, felt very uncomfortable with this type of transaction and decided to cancel it. So I informed him transaction cancelled, and his original $4000 check would be sent back to him.

It took the bank almost two weeks to find that check being a fake one. The bank sent me a photocopy of that check later. Of course, I did not have to pay postage to send it back.... his address was fake as well.